Pieve di Lammari
Denomination: Plebs Sanctae Mariae de Lammari
First documented: 904
History and Architecture
The parish church has been deeply restored during the centuries.
- in the 12th century it was rebuilt and marble doors were added, along with a series of little arches;
- in the middle of the 15th century it was partially covered with calcareous stone;
- in the 18th century it was lifted up and a dome with transept was added.
The façade and the left side of the pieve are the only parts that preserve traces of the original features and decorations, such as the portal with lunette and the ferrule in calcareous stone, or a part of the crowning formed by hanging archs sustained by ornated shelves, decorated with phytoformic animals and other alternated shapes.
On the façade we can admire a fifteenth-century portal, made by Marco da Corno (1456) and ornated with three bas-relieves that originally were part of the tomb of Lieto and were carved by Biduino in the second half of the 12th century.
The basement of the bell tower is made of stones, while the superior one is made of bricks.
Works of art
It is to mention the presence of a tabernacle, the Cristo in Pietà of Matteo Civitali (1496-1501), an earthenware San Leonardo of the second half of the XVI century, two marble angels located in the chapel of the Most Holy, the baptesimal font and the tabernacle with holy water that belonged to school of Civitali (1504).
Among the paintings of the church, we highlight the presence of a painting on wood of Agostino Marti, representing the Virgin with child and the saints Nicholas, Bartholomew and Anthony abbot. There is also a Nativity painted by Gherardo delle Catene.
Besides the works of art mentioned, in the church we also find the precious organ of Domenico Cacioli, that dates back to the second half of the 17th century.