Pieve di Pieve di Compito
Denomination: Plebs Sancti Stephani de Villa, then Plebs Sancti Iohannis Baptiste
First documented: 983, then 1077.
History and Architecture
The original pieve (Plebs S.Stephani de Villa, 983) was located in a locality called "Villa" or "Villora", in a strategic position of the Empire, between Monte Pisano, Orentano, Porcari and Capannori, but today is situated in the area of S.Ginese. The church rised in this flat area and it was a reference point for the near villas, along with the others of Paganico and Massa Macinaia. In 1077 it was renamed as Plebs S.Iohannis Baptiste de Computo.
The church was built in the second half of the 11th century, then completely restored after it collapsed on the 10th of August 1728. On the 15th of May 1791, the parish was consecrated by the archibishop Filippo Sardi.
The building was expanded in 1875 and in 1909, the last work of restoration.
The bell tower, in front of the façade, was built and enlarged at the beginning of the 17th century.
The parish church has three aisles, a gable, a pilaster and neoclassical sides.
Works of art
In the church we find a stoup of the XVI century, one of the 19th century and a ciborium of the 18th century.
There also is an organ dating 1755, restored in the 19th century.
Under the major altar are preserved the human rests of Saint Anastasio, recognized as authentic through a bull of 1645 written by Mons. Alessandro Cenami.